A beautiful wooden palace which served as the summer retreat of Tipu Sultan is situated a little south of the fort near ‘city market’ at Krishna Rajendra Road and Albert Victor Road junctions. Kempe Gowda first raised this fort with mud in 1537. In 1761, Hyder Ali renovated it to standard stone structure. Portions of the fort got destroyed during battle between the British and Tipu Sultan. Tipu Sultan, son of Hyder Ali, repaired the damage.
The fort has five intricately sculpted arches. The walls and ceilings were once covered with bright paintings that have now faded into a pale whisper over the centuries. A temple dedicated to the Hindu deity Ganesha can be found inside the fort.
There is also a museum that houses a large number of artefacts that proclaim the bravery of Tipu Sultan. VISITING HOURS: 08:00AM TO 06:00PM