The Red Fort was commissioned by Emperor Shah Jahan in 1639 and took nine years to build. The fort was the seat of Mughal power up to 1857. The fort has within its precincts important buildings such as the Diwan-e-Am, Diwan-e-Khas & the Moti Mahal.
The Diwan-e-Khas is a beautifully ornamented building, which used to house the Peacock Throne. Over the corner of its beautiful arches is inscribed the beautiful couplet, “Agar firdaus bar rue zamin ast, Hamin ast o Hamin ast o Haminast “. “ If there is paradise on earth, it is here, it is here, it is here”.