ITC Grand Central, Mumbai
ITC Grand Central has been awarded Platinum certification under the under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification program. Some of the salient achievements are:
- ITC Grand Central uses considerably less energy 22% less energy than US EPA’s (U.S. Environment Protection Agency) benchmark for large size Luxury Hotels than used on an average by large size luxury hotels.
- The hotel has a computer based building management system to monitor and control the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning), Lighting, metering and water management system.
- Sensor operated fixtures, waterless urinals, dual flush water closets and flow restrictors reducedby 48% against LEED® benchmark the water consumption substantially.
- Only treated recycled water is used for flushing, landscape, cooling tower and miscellaneous cleaning resulting in further reduction of water consumption.
- Excess treated recycled water is given to an off-site complex.
- Automation has reduced water demand in Cooling Tower.
Sustainable Site Development:
- Majority 89% of associates travel by either public transport or use pooled vehicles.
- The hotel’s rain water harvesting capacity is more than half(51%) of the peak rainfall. This helps in reducing water demand and run-off.
- Steps have been taken to protect the ecological stability of the immediate surroundings and landscape.
- The building consciously promotes cultivation of native plantscovering more than 25% of building area
- More than a third of roof area is covered with a special paint that has a high Solar Reflective Index, thereby reducing the cooling demand.
- Exterior hardscape is maintained without use of chemicals.
Indoor Environment Quality:
- ITC Grand Central boasts of increased treated fresh air infusion for higher human productivity and better health.
- The hotel enjoys enhanced occupant thermal comfort.
- The hotel uses only Green Seal certified Housekeeping chemicals and equipment.
- Mechanical means are used for elimination of rodents in addition to eco-responsible pesticides.
Sustainable Materials and Purchasing:
- More than half of ongoing consumables used at ITC Grand Central are either local or recycled. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paints and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood is used for refurbishments and renovations.
- More than 40% of the food and beverage used is harvested and processed locally within 160 kilometres of the hotel.
- The hotel uses LED lamps that are energy efficient and have no mercury content.
- Almost the whole of the total solid waste is either reused or recycled through Recycling programs. Organic Waste is converted into manure by the Organic Waste Converter.
- Providing occupant comfort by establishing project criteria for background noise levels in each room, speech privacy and airborne sound isolation between spaces, and determine the need for sound absorbing materials.