ITC Kakatiya, Hyderabad
ITC Kakatiya is a forerunner in energy efficiency, sustainable site development, enhanced indoor air quality & implementing a Green Education program. Some of the salient achievements are:
- ITC Kakatiya uses considerably less energyITC Kakatiya uses 28% less energy than US EPA’s (U.S. Environment Protection Agency) benchmark for large size Luxury Hotels. than that consumed by an average large sized luxury hotel.
- The hotel has a computer based building management system to monitor and control the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning), Lighting, metering and water management system.
- Sensor operated fixtures, waterless urinals, dual flush water closets and flow restrictors have reduced the water consumptionby 50.5% against LEED® benchmark substantially.
- Only treated recycled water is used for landscape, cooling tower and miscellaneous cleaning resulting in further reduction of water consumption.
- Treated recycled water is used for flushing through a dual flush system at the hotel.
- Reduced water demand in Cooling Tower through automation.
Sustainable Site Development:
- Majority 89% of associates travel by either public transport or use pooled vehicles.
- The hotel’s rain water mitigating capacity is 32% of the peak rainfall supported by landscape area and injection wells. This helps in reducing water demand and run-off.
- Steps have been taken to protect the ecological stability of the immediate surroundings and landscape.
- The building consciously promotes cultivation of native plantscovering more than 29% of building area
- More than half of the total roof area is covered with a combination of high Solar Reflective Index paint and vegetated roof area, thereby reducing the cooling demand.
- Exterior hardscape is maintained using green cleaning chemicals.
- Automatic lighting controls have been installed to time off the non-emergency lighting during after business hours.
Indoor Environment Quality:
- ITC Kakatiya boasts of increased treated fresh air infusion for higher human productivity and better health.
- The hotel enjoys enhanced occupant thermal comfort.
- Controllability of lighting systems maintained at 90% of the multi-occupant spaces and at least 90% of individual workstations.
- A minimum of 70% of all regularly occupied areas have access to views of the outside environment.
- The hotel uses only Green Seal certified Housekeeping chemicals and equipment.
Sustainable Materials and Purchasing:
- A third of ongoing consumables used at ITC Kakatiya are either local or recycled. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paints and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood is used for refurbishments and renovations.
- 39% of the food and beverage used is harvested and processed locally, within 160 km radius of the hotel.
- ITC Kakatiya uses LED lamps that are energy efficient and have no mercury content.
- The entire total ongoing and durable solid waste is either reused or recycled through Recycling programs.
- ITC Kakatiya has introduced Green Education and a Reward Program for ITC Employees and Guests to provide educational outreach, focusing on sustainable living and to educate the building occupants about sustainability.