ITC MARATHA, Mumbai
ITC Maratha has been awarded the prestigious Platinum certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification program.
Some of the salient achievements are:
- Most of ITC Maratha’s Electrical Energy demand is met through renewable sources of energy i.e. off-site Wind Turbine Generators. This is an innovative example of ITC Maratha’s commitment to “Responsible Luxury”.
- The hotel uses considerably less energy22% less energy than US EPA’s (U.S. Environment Protection Agency) benchmark for large size Luxury Hotels. than an average large size luxury hotel.
- The hotel has a computer based building management system to monitor and control the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning), Lighting, metering and water management system.
- Sensor operated fixtures, waterless urinals, dual flush water closets and flow restrictors reducedby 47% against LEED® benchmark the water consumption.
- Only treated recycled water is used for flushing, landscape, cooling tower and miscellaneous cleaning, resulting in further reduction of water consumption.
- Automation has reduced water demand in Cooling Tower.
Sustainable Site Development:
- Majority 89% of associates travel by either public transport or use pooled vehicles.
- The hotel’s rain water harvesting capacity is 54% of the peak rainfall. This helps in reducing water demand and run-off.
- Steps have been taken to protect the ecological stability of the immediate surroundings and landscape.
- The building consciously promotes cultivation of native plantscovering more than 25% of building area
- Exterior hardscape is maintained without use of chemicals.
Indoor Environment Quality:
- Increased treated fresh air infusion for higher human productivity and better health.
- Enhanced occupant thermal comfort.
- The hotel uses only Green Seal certified Housekeeping chemicals and equipment.
- Mechanical means are used for elimination of rodents in addition to eco-responsible pesticides.
Sustainable Materials and Purchasing:
- More than half of ongoing consumables used at ITC Maratha are either local or recycled. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paints and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood is used for refurbishments and renovations.
- More than 45% of the food and beverage used is harvested and processed locally, within a 160 kms radius of the hotel
- The hotel uses LED lamps that are energy efficient and have no mercury content.
- Almost the entire total solid waste is either reused or recycled through Recycling programs. Organic Waste is converted into manure by the Organic Waste Converter.
- Provide educational outreach focusing on sustainable living and educate the building occupants about sustainability.