ITC Maurya is the first hotel in the world to have been awarded Platinum certification under LEED® EB (Existing Building) program.
Energy efficiency, consuming less, recycling more, and using more renewable forms of energy; these are some of the green practices followed by ITC Maurya as part of its commitment to “Responsible Luxury”:
- The hotel uses considerably less energyITC Maurya uses 23% less energy than US EPA’s (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) benchmark for large size Luxury Hotels. than consumed by average large sized luxury hotels.
- Solar energyUsage of Solar Thermal system for hot water and low-pressure steam application. is used for heating water and for producing steam at the ITC Maurya.
- The hotel has a computer based building management system to monitor and control the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning), Lighting, metering and water management system.
- Sensor operated fixtures, waterless urinals, dual flush water closets and flow restrictors are some of the innovative practices adopted by ITC Maurya to reduceITC Maurya has reduced its water consumption by 33% against LEED® Benchmarks. its water consumption.
- Only treated recycled water is used for landscape, cooling tower and miscellaneous cleaning which results in reduced water consumption.
- Excess treated recycled water is given to Government Bodies for irrigation of gardens and forests.
- Cooling Tower automation has further reduced water demand.
Sustainable Site Development:
- Majority 87% of associates travel by either public transport or use pooled vehicles.
- The hotel’s rain water harvesting capacity is 30% of the peak rainfall. This helps in reducing water demand and run-off.
- Steps have been taken to protect the ecological stability of the immediate surroundings and landscape.
- The building consciously promotes cultivation of native plantscovering more than 25% of building area
- Over a third of the roof area is covered with a special paint that has a high Solar Reflective Index, thereby reducing the cooling demand.
- Exterior hardscape is maintained without use of chemicals.
Indoor Environment Quality:
- The hotel boasts of increased treated fresh air infusion for higher human productivity and better health.
- The hotel enjoys enhanced occupant thermal comfort.
- ITC Maurya uses only Green Seal certified Housekeeping chemicals and equipment.
- Mechanical means are used for elimination of rodents in addition to eco-responsible pesticides.
Sustainable Materials and Purchasing:
- More than half of ongoing consumables used at ITC Maurya are either local or recycled. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paints and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood is used for refurbishments and renovations.
- More than 30% of the food and beverage used is harvested and processed locally.
- The hotel uses LED lamps that are energy efficient and have no mercury content. .
- Almost the entire total solid waste is either reused or recycled through Recycling programs or converted into manure by the Organic Waste Converter.