ITC WINDSOR, Bengaluru
ITC Windsor is the first hotel in South India to have been awarded the prestigious Platinum certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification program. Some of the salient achievements are:
- The entire Electrical Energy demand of ITC Windsor is met through renewable sources of energy i.e. off-site Wind Turbine Generators.This is an innovative example of ITC Windsor’s commitment to “Responsible Luxury”.
- The hotel uses considerably less energyITC Windsor uses 29% less energy than US EPA’s (U.S. Environment Protection Agency) benchmark for large size Luxury Hotels. than that consumed by an average large size luxury hotel.
- The hotel has a computer based building management system to monitor and control the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning), Lighting, metering and water management system.
- Sensor operated fixtures, waterless urinals, dual flush water closets and flow restrictors have reducedby 52.8% against LEED® benchmark the water consumption considerably.
- Only treated recycled water is used for landscape, cooling tower and miscellaneous cleaning that results in further reduction of water consumption.
- Excess treated recycled water is given to Government Bodies for irrigation of gardens and forests.
- Due to automation, there is reduced water demand in Cooling Tower.
Sustainable Site Development:
- Majority 77% of associates travel by either public transport or use pooled vehicles.
- The hotel’s rain water harvesting capacity is 20% of the peak rainfall. This helps in reducing water demand and run-off.
- Steps have been taken to protect the ecological stability of the immediate surroundings and landscape.
- The building consciously promotes cultivation of native plantscovering more than 40% of building area
- More than half(over 60%) of the roof area is covered with a special paint that has a high Solar Reflective Index, thereby reducing the cooling demand.
- Exterior hardscape is maintained without use of chemicals.
Indoor Environment Quality:
- ITC Windsor boasts of increased treated fresh air infusion for higher human productivity and better health.
- The hotel enjoys enhanced occupant thermal comfort.
- The hotel uses only Green Seal certified Housekeeping chemicals and equipment.
- Mechanical means are used for elimination of rodents in addition to eco-responsible pesticides.
Sustainable Materials and Purchasing:
- More than half (60%) of ongoing consumables used at ITC Windsor are either local or recycled. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paints and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood is used for refurbishments and renovations.
- More than 30% of the food and beverage used is harvested and processed locally, within a radius of 160 kms of the hotel.
- LED lamps that are energy efficient and have no mercury content .
- Almost the entire solid waste is either reused or recycled through Recycling programs. Organic Waste is converted into manure by the Organic Waste Converter.